Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Relay for Life Cancer Walk





What an experience I had this past weekend. I stayed for the full 24 hours of the relay and walked approximately 24 miles total. This is the first year that I have actively participated in this worthy event and count myself abundantly blessed for doing so. The little girl on the left center picture is Jasmine. She is one of the beautiful people I met at the relay. She is 10 years old and a cancer survivor. She was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 3 years and has had 3 stem cell procedures. She is a survivor and a beautiful young lady. She charmed our whole relay team and adopted us for the weekend.

The picture on the left is our whole team. We all did our part from obtaining donations, taking turns walking laps, running errands, selling raffle tickets, etc. What a great bunch of gals I jazzercise with. Again, I was abundantly blessed.

The picture on the right is the booth that we set up for the relay. We sold tickets for numerous baskets of goodies and a lapsteel guitar. We brought in over $800.00 just for our raffle sales (all going to cancer research). Our total sum that our team was able to raise through donations and raffle sales was a little over $6,300.00. We were not the top team in donations, but we did receive a certificate for the "Best Rookie Team".

The one lap that I will forever be touched by was the 9-10pm luminaria lap. A bag pipe player, fully dressed in kilt and all led us slowly on the first lap playing Amazing Grace. I tried to get a good picture, but it was too dark and it is hard to make out. Please just close your eyes and try to visualize it hearing Amazing Grace in your head. We all cried and were touched deeply. I am actually tearing up right now as I remember the moment.

My mom had breast cancer and went through a double massectomy. She also had two sisters that had the same type breast cancer. My mother was a survivor and so are my aunts. My mother did pass away 5 years ago due to her heart, but not due to the cancer. Cancer research is something that I passionately support. I will always have a link to the site if you want or need more information about cancer research and the Relay for Life. Our team is already set to sign up for next year's walk. It is scheduled to be the weekend of June 9th and 10th. I would not miss it for the world.

We were told at the closing ceremonies on Sunday that the total amount that was donated from our area Relay for Life event was a little over $330,000.00. Well above the goal that was set for our area. They said that donations can still be sent in until mid August, then it will close and the next year's event will start taking donations the end of September.

I encourage all of you to participate in this worthy charity. In whatever capacity you are able. If you can even just go to observe the Relay for Life, I would recommend it. You don't have to be a participant to attend. If you can only go for a short time, then I would suggest that you either go for the very first lap (only survivors can walk that lap) or go for the luminaria lap. Your life will be touched in a way that you would never imagine.

I hope that I have shared my experience enough for you to visualize it for yourself. It was my honor to do so.

1 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Blogger knitknak said...

You are SUCH a good person...and what a great cause! You Go! I'm proud of you. Now get to knitting hehehe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home